18 April, 2015

Sushi girl

Greetings from Tokyo!
Before you come up with massive envy, I better clarify that I'm home, far away from the Land of the rising sun. It was more a mental journey last night that ended up with this Far East inspired card.

I wanted to play with Asian motifs for quite a while, and the newest challenge at craft-alnica is more than perfect to set my fantasy free. I found this gorgeous little girl on pinterest (originally from kettodesign.com) and printed it on white cardboard. Isn't she lovely, with a plate of delicious sushi in one hand and a bright red umbrella in the other?
Even though the layout of the card is pretty simple (sketch from cheerfulsketches), it took me almost as long as if I had started some stitching project.
First, to find the perfect turquoise/blue background paper that would match the image. Then, decide whether I'd use red shades to match the umbrella or soft pink ones for the beautiful Japanese cherry trees. In the end, I've chosen non of these. Instead, I went with yellow cardrboard which is a bit of a contrast and represents the rising sun.
The idea of cherry trees however stuck with me and I used it in 3 ways: next to a punched brown stripe that would be the tree itself, tiny white sticker-blossoms I found in my stash, and white background paper with a white floral motif.
In the end, I aded tiny pearls on the umbrella to make the central image pop out a bit more.

p.s. Mental journey or real one, after a crafting session that lasted almost til 8 am, I have a jetlag that really makes me feel like I've just landed in Narita.
p.p.s. No worries, it wasn't this card that kept me up all night. In fact I've finished two more, which I'll present after I complete them with a couple of rhinestones.

challenges:
-craft-alnica: Oriental
- cheerfulsketches: sketch
- clear it out: yellow
- crafting from the heart: ATG
- crafty cardmakers: wings
- craftysentiments: ATG
- everybody art challenge: pearls
- fan-tastic tuesday: pearls
- fabnfunky: masculine
- fussynfancy: spring flowers
- handmade challenge: spring
- inspiration destination: ATG
- live and love:  signs of spring
- ooh la la:  lots of layers
- modsquad: colour wheel (yellow, red, turquoise)

18 comments:

  1. Oh my word this is stunning!! Thank you for sharing with us at Fussy and Fancy!! Good luck!
    Take care,
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!

    Eine wunderschöne Karte! Das Motiv ist wirklich einmalig und deine Gestaltung passt perfekt zusammen. Danke für deine Teilnahme bei der Handmade Challenge!

    LG Katrin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, I love this so much! The image is beautiful and looks perfect with your gorgeous design.
    Rebecca.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, what a sweet little girl. She is so precious, and I love the colors you have used with her! Beautiful design, and great take on the challenge. Thanks so much for participating this week at the Mod Squad Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cute. Love the image, the colours and the little pearls you added. Very sweet indeed.

    Thanks for joining us this week at Inspiration Destination for our Anything Goes Challenge. Good luck.

    Lynn, ID DT

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful !!! Thanks for joining us at Clear It Out!!! I hope you get to join us again for our next challenge. Agnieszka DT

    ReplyDelete
  7. very nice card :)
    Thank you for joining us at Cheerful sketches.
    Greetings Geesje (DT)

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow nice card! Thanks for joining the challenge at Cheerful Sketches, good luck.
    Ine (dt)

    ReplyDelete
  9. A fabulous card, such beautiful colours.
    Thank you for joining us Ooh La La Creations.
    Pauline
    x
    I have Birthday Candy on my blog if you would like to take a look - http://craftingwithcotnob.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an enchanting card. I'm not sure it fits our 'Masculine' theme this challenge, but it's absolutely beautiful. Thanks for joining in the fun at Fab 'n' Funky this week with your gorgeous card. Hugs, Wends x Fab 'n' Funky DT

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice card! Thanks for joining us at Cheerful Sketches!

    Greetz,
    Marjoleine

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous card; a beautiful and refreshing image. Thanks for sharing with us at LLC; please bear in mind though that we have a max 10 challenges rule.

    Hugz, Sandy
    Owner & Operator @Live & Love Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  13. Zelo je lepa in tudi meni je všeč krasen motiv :-))
    Lepo da si se nama pridružila tudi pri malo neobičajnem izzivu CRAFT-alnice ... Srečno!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Čudovita voščilnica. Krasne barve in motiv nas kar ponesejo v Japonske vrtove.
    Hvala, da si se nam pridružila v orientalsko obarvani Craft-alnici. Pozdravček Lili

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous card, she has such a pretty face. The detail is fabulous. Thanks for sharing with us at Ooh La La Creations. Michelle x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wunderschön deine Karte. Ich finde all diese kleine Details total gut.
    Danke das du bei Handmade mitmachst.
    Vielleicht kommst du das nächste mal wieder.
    Viel Glück.
    xxx Michelle (DT)

    ReplyDelete